Tuesday, May 28, 2013

2013 Draft Blog: Kurt Etchegary



-
Each season The Pipeline Show likes to ask a handful of draft eligible players if they would like to share their experiences during the big year with hockey fans around the world. Since 2008 our roster of guest player bloggers have included the likes of Jordan Eberle, Joe Colborne, John Moore, Ethan Werek, Travis Ewanyk, Brendan Gaunce, Andreas Athanasiou, Mark Pysyk, Brett Connolly, Mike Lee, Dylan Willick, Cody Ceci, Mike Mathseon and Ryan Murray

This year we have had terrific participation from both forward Curtis Lazar and goaltender Eamon McAdam. Today we're happy to add a third name to the 2013 list in Quebec Remparts forward Kurt Etchegary.


Photo: Quebec Remparts

Hello to all!



My name is Kurt Etchegary and I’m currently living in St. John’s, Newfoundland for a few months around my family and friends. I will be attending the NHL combine this week, followed by the Buffalo Sabres combine, as well as the Montreal Canadians combine. It has been a wild two years for me, from being drafted to the Quebec Remparts to attending the NHL combine/NHL draft and seeing my name on the NHL central scouting list.



My two years with the Quebec Remparts have been character building in such a professional atmosphere where every single player is treated like a pro. I’m 100 percent sure it has to be the closest thing to the NHL in junior hockey. Everyone around the rink and anyone involved with the Remparts are first class and really make it enjoyable playing for them. 

If you have ever been to the Colisée (our home rink), you will notice the most supportive and loud fans ever! The dedication and love they show to the players is incredible, night in and night out, they show up to help us through each war, whether we are winning or losing. I would like to thank the Remparts for everything they have let me experience, and please God I will have another two years with the club to make many more memories, and I can’t forget to mention that we need a championship!!



Photo: Claude Rousseau, Kurt Etchegary and Patrick Roy
It has been my second straight year with a disappointing playoff run. It is amazing to be around family, but it is simply too early for a hockey season to end. We were surprised last year by the Halifax Mooseheads after being up 3-0 in the second round which was devastating, and this year we were upset by the Rouyn Noranda Huskies again in the second round, where I believe we were simply out-battled. It is not a good feeling to be eliminated early like that, and to not have a shot at the championship, especially when you look at the talent that our team possesses. 

On a positive note, I have learned so many great things from the Remparts coaching staff and especially my head coach, Patrick Roy. He is leaving to go to Colorado next season, which is a huge disappointment and loss for the players, however we are all excited for him in his challenges ahead and we all wish him the best of luck!



Photo: Le Soleil
I am now in the middle of my summer routine which consists of living in Newfoundland from end of season until mid June where I have been working very hard with Ryan Power (Power Conditioning Inc.) in my attempt to be ready for the NHL combine testing on Friday, May.31st   followed by the Sabres/Canadians combines like I mentioned earlier. It is such an honor for me to attend such prestigious events and I hope to represent the Quebec Remparts with respectable results.



After mid June, I will move to Montreal, Quebec and continue my training for the rest of the summer. I am looking forward to attending the NHL draft on June 30th in New Jersey, this is a once in a lifetime experience that any hockey player dreams of and I am ecstatic for the big day. 

Kurt Etchegary is a forward with the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL. He is listed by NHL Central Scouting as 5'11, 185 lbs and is ranked 72nd amongst skaters from North America. He finished the 2012-13 regular season with 9 goals and 25 points in 31 games and added 8 more points in 10 playoff games. He is ranked 130th overall by ISS.

No comments: