Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Werek's World - Part 6

~

The Pipeline Show is excited to bring you a series of guest player blogs by some of the top players eligible for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. For a complete recap of the blogs so far, click on '2009 Guest Blogs' under 'Labels' down the right-hand side of your screen. To date we have heard from John Moore from the Chicago Steel in the USHL, Ethan Werek of the Kingston Frontenacs, Dylan Olsen of the Camrose Kodiaks and netminder Mike Lee of the Fargo Force.

Here now is Ethan Werek's latest addition to Werek's World. It's a brief glipse into experiences at the NHL Combine...


I arrived at the combine Monday night and got off to an early start on Tuesday with my first interview starting at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday was when I had 18 of my 23 interviews. Some of the teams would have 3 or 4 people in the room, but some others would have 10 or more. It was interesting to get direct feed back from scouts and how they noticed even the smallest events in games that they saw.

The testing part was hard, very hard. I had the early morning testing (8:30) so I had to get up at 6:30 get in some food, and a little warm up before I got started. Before the physical part I had to go through the medical part. That took about an hour and doctors pulled, pushed, poked, and moved every bone in my body. The testing went well. After the windgate I thought I was okay, but some of my breakfast came up. Lucky enough I got to the garbage in time!

Since the combine I have been to Montreal to do skating testing for them. In Toronto I had to do more testing for New Jersey. This was the first time I've had to do a VO2 test on a running treadmill. I'm going to start getting back to my work out routine later this week and look ahead to the draft.

Ethan Werek
#25

Ethan Werek is ranked 26th overall by International Scouting Services (Final Ranking '09) and 43rd in North America by NHL Central Scouting (mid-term rankings). The 6.05' and 191 lbs forward ended the OHL year with 32 goals and 64 points in 66 games with Kingston. Werek also recorded 4 goals and 6 points in 6 games for Canada at the World U18s in Fargo, good for third in team scoring.

(Photos Courtesy: Kingston Frontenacs, CHL)

No comments: